Re: translating video

Subject: Re: translating video
From: Averil Strauss <averil -at- LEGENDCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 10:40:06 -0400

>I have heard that one should not use contractions when writing technical
>manuals slated for translation. In reading the literature on producing
>videos, I found that one should use contractions and other rules that
>violate the "writing for translations" guidelines. Can anyone tell me if
>the " translation writing guidelines" differ for video? Are there any
>rules hanging around out there?

Unfortunately, I know of no rules, but I have worked with theatre and film.
I agree that translation prefers to avoid slang and conversely video works
better with it. The following solution just occurred to me.

I suggest that you try to keep the video visual. After all, that's why you
are using video, not a manual or audio tape, isn't it? Use pantomime and
avoid language as much as possible. You could even employ a real mime
artist; he or she sould probably have great ideas as well as being an expert
in communication without words. Also, you don't need multiple translations
for multiple languages.

Averil
Legend Communications, Inc.
Makers of PostScript and Imposition Software
http://www.legendcomm.com

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net