Putting Hardcopy Manuals On Line

Subject: Putting Hardcopy Manuals On Line
From: "L. Brook Sizemore" <sizemore -at- COGGINS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 09:53:23 -0500

Hello techwr-l'ers,

I am a new technical writer for a specialized software company. I am also,
at this time, the only writer here.

One of our clients has made a request that maybe some of you could help me
with. This client would like me to save our current manual to a print file,
on CD, and send it to them so that they can print the manuals as they need them.

I think that there must be a tool that can serve this purpose better than a
print file. Since I have become a lurker on this mailing list, I have seen
posts regarding Adobe Acrobat and PDF files. However, I don't know exactly
what these tools do. Would they help me with this situation?

I need something that will do the following:

-Let users view the documentation on line, as it would appear in the manual.
-Restrict users from altering or changing the manual (of course).
-Let users easily print hard copies of the manual as needed.

Thank you,