It's and its

Subject: It's and its
From: Angela <amoore -at- SOFTDESK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 10:17:56 -0700

John wrote:

>Anyone (beside/besides?) me notice how ^into^ is
>being (incorrectly) replaced by ^in^?

I'll have to pay more attention in the future, I hadn't noticed that one yet. But the biggie that gets me is the improper use of ^it's^.

An ^it^ can never own anything, so it can't own an apostrophe. It only gets an ^its^, unless it's a contraction of ^it is^.

Example:
It's a beautiful day!
The little bug is pretty, its wings are a nice shade of green.

-angela

Angela Moore amoore -at- softdesk -dot- com
(Does not express the opinion of Softdesk)
"Be careful about reading health books, you may
die of a misprint." - Mark Twain