Re: Scope of TW

Subject: Re: Scope of TW
From: Shelley Strong <sstrong -at- TECHREPS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 15:36:33 -0600

When someone started the thread about "Anyone out there NOT doing computer
docs?", I suddenly felt like a character from the 70s sitcom _Welcome Back,
Kotter._ There was one student who couldn't simply raise his hand like the
others; his excitement was too much for him to contain.

"OOOO!! OOH! Me, Me! I know! OOO! OOOOOO!"

That means that I don't do computer docs. I do (gasp) government work. I
started out working for an EPA contractor doing proofreading and editing on
R&D reports, monthly reports, journal articles, and assorted other things
that came along, all having a very environmental focus (soil, air, and water
contamination, analysis, and remediation). I cut my teeth in the editing
sense on the _ACS Style Guide_ and the _GPO Style Manual_ and had a
terrific supervisor and mentor (bless you, Marianne Faber). I hold a B.S.
degree in agriculture (Try explaining to an interviewer how THAT relates to
editing). I had a superb grammar teacher in 7th and 8th grade -- Lorraine
Reynolds who retired this year (Bless her, too. No one else taught me more
about English grammar than she did).

I currently work for a contractor to Sandia National Laboratories doing much
of the same types of docs, but the subject matter may be anything that SNL
does. I have yet to even touch online help software except to gaze with
mild trepidation at the boxed things on the shelves of software stores.

I deal with deadlines and engineers with approximately equal success. Most
are reasonable; others are impossible. Because the work I do varies so
widely from one project to another, it is tough to have *real* documentation
procedures, but I suspect that after I finish JoAnn Hackos's book, I'll add
her name to my "bless you" list.

(rhetorical question) Does all of this mean I'm not a *real* tech editor?

I look forward to reading others' responses to this topic.

Regards,

Shelley R. Strong, Technical Editor Voice: (505) 266-5678 ext. 264
Tech Reps, Inc. Fax: (505) 260-1163
Albuquerque, NM 87110 Email: sstrong -at- techreps -dot- com