Re: Scope of TW

Subject: Re: Scope of TW
From: Kathy Hutchins <KATHY -at- REGEN -dot- RG -dot- IUPUI -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 09:01:39 EST

> From: Tracy Boyington <trlyboyi -at- GENESIS -dot- ODVTE -dot- STATE -dot- OK -dot- US>
> Subject: Re: Scope of TW

>> Hmm ... Hard to imagine based upon the content of messages here. Anybody do
>> medical or scientific writing?

> Kinda. I write instructional materials for students in health
> occupations, mostly practical nursing. And I've already done some
> whining on this list about the fact that not all of us document
> software for a living. To which some people responded "That's true!
> Some of us document hardware!" ;-)

I am the technical editor (i.e., the only person who
speaks comprehensible English) at the Regenstrief Institute, a private
non-profit medical research institute. I suppose I am a hybrid,
because the main focus of Regenstrief research is medical informatics
-- the application of computer technology to medicine. I have
written my share of user manuals for our software, but I also write
and edit grant proposals and reports, as well as documentation for
medical informatics standards such as ASTM E1238 and HL7. I am
reputed to have a special gift for taking the incoherent ramblings
of research physicians and turning them into publishable journal
articles. As part of my compensation, I am occasionally allowed to
write vitriolic letters to Michael Dell or Bill Gates and mail them
over the director's signature.