Re: Word to Frame conversions

Subject: Re: Word to Frame conversions
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 08:23:46 -0400

Randy Grandle <randy -dot- grandle -at- CORP -dot- SUN -dot- COM> wrote:
>You write documents in Word and then convert the documents to Frame.
>Are you using style guides and templates that facilitate the conversion
>process? If style guides and templates are properly implemented,
>conversion can be automatic with little or no cleanup required.

I assume from Randy's signature that he works on a UNIX box <grin>. I've
had the same experience with Frame on my Mac. If I spend an hour setting
up a good Frame template -using the same style tags- as the Word doc, I
can crank through the conversions pretty smoothly.

Most para styles convert with almost no problems. I can even use this
process to do painless global style changes like updating fonts, changing
bold to smallcap, etc. Occasionally I have to play with graphics formats,
and re-do autonumbering formats and some table-cell formats, but rarely
more than that.

Of course, I don't play with cross-references much. And I don't even
-try- to convert something in MasterDoc format <may it rot in #$%!> to a
FrameBook setup. I do the conversions chapter-by-chapter, then generate
the book and TOC.

@Kat _______________________________ katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
Kat Nagel MasterWork Consulting Services, Rochester, NY
Technical writing / Document design

"The danger of technology is that it demands to be fed."
Sherry Turkle (cyberpsychologist), in _Life in the screen_