Re: Word to Frame conversions

Subject: Re: Word to Frame conversions
From: Randy Grandle <randy -dot- grandle -at- CORP -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 17:55:24 GMT

"Glanbrok, Slayer of Bluntskulls" <conehead -at- overthe -dot- net> writes:

>Word 5.1 is a DOS app, right? Even so, it has the ability to record =
>macros. In the bad old days before we had a single platform (e.g. =
>Windows) and standard filetypes (e.g. RTF), we were sometimes faced with =
>converting VP files to wordprocessing. This necessitated stripping the =
>Ventura codes and/or replacing them with Word codes. I was able to =
>streamline this dorky process fairly well with some macros.

I suspect that the Word 5.1 that Elsa refered to is probably the Mac
app. I'm not sure that Word for DOS was ever released at a revision
level of 5.1. There are several macro utilities, such as QuickKeys,
available for the Mac that work well with Word.

However, either way, writing documents in Word and then converting to
Frame is a less than ideal process. An ideal process would develop
documents in Frame from inception to delivery. Of course, the hardware
requirements for Frame running on any platform are more substantial
than for Word 5.1.

If you cannot afford to upgrade systems to support development in
Frame, you may have to settle for less than ideal solutions. Frame is
not that much harder to use than Word if good templates are developed
and good style guidelines are published for writers and editors to follow.

Randy Grandle