Re: Spacing Between Sentence

Subject: Re: Spacing Between Sentence
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 11:39:04 -0700

Quoting from Robert Bringhurst's "The Elements of Typographic Style"

>(begin quote) 2.1.4 Use a single word space between sentences.
>In the nineteenth century, which was a dark and inflationary age in
>typography and type design, many compositors were encouraged to stuff extra
>space between sentences. Generations of twentieth-century typists were then
>taught to do the same, by hitting the spacebar twice after every period.
>Your typing as well as your typesetting will benefit from unlearning this
>quaint Victorian habit.

Frankly, Robert, I don't give a darn. I'm so Victorian that I actually
believe readers need to understand what they're reading. No amount of
style ponitification will prevent me from creating readable documents.

David (The Quaint) Blyth
Technical Writer & Web Site Designer
Qualcomm

The usual disclaimers apply - QUALCOMM isn't that crazy.

Blodo Poa Maximus