Documentation in HTML--getting started

Subject: Documentation in HTML--getting started
From: Solveig Haugland <Solveig_Haugland -dot- GPS -at- GPS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 14:44:00 EDT

I've just been assigned to be the only technical writer on an Internet
accounting project. The product requires some detailed setup instructions
(installing server documentation, mapping HTML fields to accounting app
software, etc.) as well as some limited using instructions. We'll be doing as
much of the documentation as possible in HTML, which we expect people to access
directly from the product's web site or from HTML pages we've installed on
their hard disk.

I have limited experience with HTML and Internet documentation, though I have
some experience working with WinHelp. My question is, essentially, how does
HTML documentation work? Is it like help, but without popups? Is it like
printed documentation, but with actual links rather than simply telling the
user to turn to another chapter for more information? Any guidance I can get,
including books to buy or samples to look at, would be most helpful.

Thanks,
Solveig Haugland
shauglan -at- gps -dot- com