USAGE: screwdriver

Subject: USAGE: screwdriver
From: "Simmons, Brian" <brian -dot- simmons -at- LAMRC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 11:57:00 PDT

I gather that most of the list is composed of computer/software writers, but
I'll cast a line anyway. In our semiconductor equipment maintenance manuals
we have occasionally run into a situation where the term we used for a tool
was not globally understood. For example, "Allen wrench" confused some
international users; we changed that to "hex wrench."

Amazingly enough we are now in a bit of a quandary as to what to call a
simple screwdriver. Suggestions include
standard screwdriver
slotted screwdriver
straight slot screwdriver

for one type and
Phillips screwdriver (which is like the Allen wrench scenario)
crosshead screwdriver
x-head screwdriver
cross slot screwdriver

for the other. I suppose we could solve this most easily by using icons that
depict the screw head for each occurrence, but I'd really like to know the
best terms to use. I don't even know of a good source for this terminology,
except a tool catalog, and that doesn't necessarily reflect "standard"
terminology, except in the country of origin of the catalog.

thanks for all constructive comments,

bws

Brian Wesley Simmons
Publications Supervisor 510.572.1039 work 510.572.1056 fax
Lam Research Corporation 1.800.759.8888 PIN 1970622 voicemail pager
brian -dot- simmons -at- lamrc -dot- com bws20 -at- netcom -dot- com