Re: Screen Capture

Subject: Re: Screen Capture
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 12:02:28 -0700

At 08:00 AM 7/18/96 HST, David Jones/KSBEISD wrote:
>>I am one of two tech writers working on software documentation manuals for a
>small company. Our dilemma has been quality screen capture. We have tried
>several methods. Our software is cross platform, so we are able to capture
>using workstations, PC's or MAC's. The captures are pretty good, but when we
>bring them into Framemaker, they get distorted, fuzzy and the text looks
>terrible (stairstepped). What are others out there using to get quality screen
>capture?<

Pay no attention to the way the screenshots look on-screen (unless, of
course, you're going online with the book). I've had good results using
just alt+print screen and saving the screenshot as a bitmap. I suspect
the problem lies in your import process. Frame suggests you use the number
of dots per inch setting to resize a bitmap and that the selected number
of dots per inch be evenly divisible into the number of dots per inch
print resolution. For example, if you're printing at 600dpi, import the
bitmap at 100, 150, 200, or 300 dpi (which gives you a choice of several
sizes that should all print out relatively well), but don't use 72 or
125 dpi because you cant divide 600 by these numbers and get a whole
number.

Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com
-- The _Guide_ is definitive.