Re: Screen Capture

Subject: Re: Screen Capture
From: Lars Helge Semb <lhs -at- VINGMED -dot- NO>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 01:25:37 +0200

Noelle, list friends,
this is based on what I'm doing when using screen captures in manuals
(we're printing in b/w):

1. Capture the screen (as you already are doing).
The resolution will be rather low (72 dpi from a 14 inch MAC screen).

2. Change the size:
Open the file in Photoshop and resample to the size(es) you need. For the
on-line version you may leave the dpi to "as is" (72 dpi). For the paper
version, set the dpi setting to 300 (or the resolution of your printer).

3. Change to b/w (the paper version only):
Change the mode from color to grayscale. May be you need to adjust the
brightness and/or the contrast at this time. Then change the mode to bitmap
(black and white), -use the Diffusion Dither option.

4. Save the file.
Use a new filename and save the on-line version and the paper version in
two separate folders.
For use on the MAC, I found that EPS with prewiev is the best format. For
files to be used in FrameMaker on a PC, I think bmp is OK for the paper
version and maybe TIF for the online version of the file.

-----

I hope this is to some help.

Lars H.

Lars Helge Semb
- Technical Writer / Engineer
-- Vingmed Sound A/S, Norway
-- Internet (office): <lhs -at- vingmed -dot- no> - (home): <larshese -at- login -dot- eunet -dot- no>