Icons vs Buttons

Subject: Icons vs Buttons
From: "<Joy Switzer>" <joy -at- TRIO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 17:08:46 +0100

First I want to thank all of those who offered their advice on White Papers....
the opinions were very beneficial as were some of the example some of you
pointed me to.

I have a new question now....in the new documentation for a piece of software
my co has developed we are confused on the use of the words "icons" and
"buttons". We feel that an icon is a graphical representation of the action
that will take place when you click it. A button has text on it to describe
what it will do.

Are we right in our assumption...what standard have some of you used in your
experiences?

Joy Switzer
Technical Writer
Trio Information Systems