Re[2]: note taking

Subject: Re[2]: note taking
From: Mike Sechelski <msechelski -at- HOU -dot- SPERRY-SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 13:28:17 -0500

_re: note taking...

I've been reading these posts with some amusement. Obviously, some
of you have an inflated sense of professional self worth (oh stop it!
I'm not bashing anyone.)

The bottom line is this...anyone in an organization might be called
upon to perform some task that might seem beneath them. When I go to
pour myself a cup of coffee and the pot is empty, I make another pot
even though THAT'S NOT MY JOB. When the photocopier runs out of paper,
I reload it, even thought THAT'S NOT MY JOB. When someone else's
project is about to be late, and I'm asked to interrupt my work to
help, I do it even though THAT'S NOT MY JOB.

...but back to the original dilemma...

Anyone COULD take notes at a meeting, but if a technical communicator
does it, said notes will probably be much more readable than if an
engineer, analyst, or program manager does it. And as far as who
determines the best use of resources...<self control used--opinions
deleted>

Basically, I don't think taking notes one time will kill anyone.
If it does, let them speak up (at work, not here!) ...oh and
definitely make a big scene in the office; that'll go a long way
towards enhancing our professional image...Maybe you could even
resign...I mean if you're THAT GOOD, well...you should be able to
find another job by...THIS AFTERNOON...<all inferred sarcasm is implied>

Michael Sechelski
Technical Writer Extraordinaire
msechelski -at- hou -dot- sperry-sun -dot- com

"Hey, point that thing somewhere else!"