Re[2]: Interleaf

Subject: Re[2]: Interleaf
From: Friedlander_Tori <torif -at- KSL -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 16:48:56 EST

Hi, John.

When I got your message, I sat down and started thinking about what programs I
have used. I started with paper tape, moved up to cassettes, then stand-alone
word processors, and finally graduated to the "big league" with ProWrite (though
that particular one was only at home). I used to love working with WordPerfect.
I knew all of its features and was often called upon to troubleshoot problems
that others were having wherever I was working.

The transition to MS-Word was not by choice and was frustrating for me. Now
that I am into Word 7 (on Windows 95), I find that I am enjoying using it ...
and am once again, proficient in many though not all of its aspects. My problem
with Word 6.0 was that it often failed me. The larger my documents were, the
worse the problems.

My 375 Maintenance Manual is so big I couldn't figure out a way to put it
together (with an eye toward creating a single Table of Contents or an Index,
for example ... not to mention cross referencing). Maybe its me, but I had
endless trouble trying to figure out Master Documents ... finally gave it up.

Probably what you are "hearing" is my remembered frustration learning Word.
That and the fact that I don't have time at the moment for a steep learning
curve. I suspect that DTP programs will be quite a change from what I'm used to
and may even solve my large file size problems. At least I hope so.

I have no such fears when it comes to the graphics side and am looking forward
to discovering all about programs like Corel, etc. My resume is a mixture of
many different kinds of things that I have enjoyed learning about over the years
... luckily for me, they have somehow come together to give me a solid base for
what I am doing now.

Regards,

Tori

Tori Friedlander
torif -at- ksl -dot- co -dot- il

Famous Last Words: "640K should be enough for anybody."

Subject: Re: Interleaf
Author: "John Posada" <jposada -at- notes -dot- cc -dot- bellcore -dot- com> at Internet
Date: 01-08-96 16:24

Tori...

While my company uses Interleaf, Frame and Word, I haven't gotten involved in
Interleaf only for the reason that I don't have access to a workstation that
has it and we are going away from Interleaf (hence less access to Interleaf
stations) to Word and to a lesser extent, Frame.

However...the reason I'm replying to this is for something different.

It appears that you are against the idea of learning a new skill. Why?

For several years, I was a WordPerfect person, and highly proficient. However,
when I came to this position, they had no WPerfect, and instead was a Word shop.
I looked forward to learning a new package and am now the "Word Answer-Man" in
my group. Then, I started getting involved with IBM as they are subcontracxtors
to alot of what we do, and they are AMI people. I quickly learned AMI and I get
people calling me from IBM to ask how to do things. Let's see...WordPerfect,
Word, Frame, AmiPro. Kinda has a nice ring to it on a resume...no?

Don't hesitate to learn stuff that only makes you stronger and more valuable.

John Posada
- Central New Jersey Employment Manager
Society for Technical Communication
http://stc.org/region2/njc/

- Technical Proposal Writer
Bell Communications Research
(908) 699-5839 (W)
jposada -at- notes -dot- cc -dot- bellcore -dot- com

"Its wonderful to be here in the great state of Chicago"
- Vice President Dan Quayle, 4/30/91
I don't speak for my employer and they return the favor

Having survived the transition from Word Perfect to Windows, I am now
being forced into yet another transition. The Home Office, so to
speak, uses Interleaf for its technical documentation and we are being
asked to do the same. Uniformity and all that ...

Here in Israel, I have heard of no one who is currently using
Interleaf. What i want to know is this ...Is there anyone out there
on the list who has converted from Word to Interleaf ... just how
painful an experience was it ... any advice?