Word corruption fixups

Subject: Word corruption fixups
From: Jerolynn Cochrane <cochrane -at- RDSDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 11:25:36 -0400

I use RoboHelp 3.0 and Word 6.0.
I have recently suffered a Word corruption problem wherein the resolution
(ala Blue Sky) was finally that I saved the helpfile document as a .txt
file and then insert it into a new Word document and reapply all styles,
recreate jumps, etc.
All fine and good except for a couple of things:
1. The document has 260+ topics; each with 2-6 jumps, numbered lists,
bulleted lists, etc. You get the drift. I really want to save it if I can.
2. Some of the hard returns in the Word document aren't really that. This
means that if I apply a style to a line, it picks up several others and
applies the style to that as well. If I select all the text before the
return and cut it, a space and a hard return remain where there was only a
hard return previously.

What did I do to try and fix this?
1. I tried to select these odd hard returns so I could replace them - nada.
When I paste the copy in Search and Replace, it is blank. If I do a Find
using the ^p, it skips by these hard returns.
2. I looked at the file in hex, all the hard returns look exactly like ones
that work correctly.
3. I saved the file as .rtf, it didn't fix it.
4. I saved the file as a WordPerfect 5.1 file and then opened it in Word so
it would force a conversion, that didn't fix it.

If I select the faux hard return and press Enter, it replaces it with a
good one. But this means I would have to go through the whole file manually
replacing the hard returns.

Does anyone have any ideas or utilties that might resolve this?
In lieu, how about a box of Kleenex for the tears and some coffee to keep me
awake for the tedious job ahead.

Burning incense and waiting patiently,
Jerolynn Cochrane
RDS Data Group Inc.