HTML Features Supported by Navigator and Internet Explorer

Subject: HTML Features Supported by Navigator and Internet Explorer
From: "George F. Hayhoe" <gfhayhoe -at- SCESCAPE -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 09:33:15 -0400

Okay, folks, I don't want to start a browser war; I just need some
information!

I've been using Netscape (both 2.1 and the 3.0 betas) for the past four
months after several years as an NCSA Mosaic user, and I have had
reasonably good luck designing pages with HTML that leverage the
capabilities of the browser and work pretty well.

I recently downloaded the beta of Internet Explorer 3.0, and I really
like it a lot. But it doesn't seem to support all of the HTML font
specifications (for example, FACE="Avant Garde") that Navigator does,
despite the MS documentation's apparent claim to the contrary.

Does anyone know of a source (preferrably Web-based) that lists
*specific* HTML code features supported by various browsers? Note that a
list stating that one browser is HTML 3.2-compliant, while another is
HTML 2-compliant isn't terribly helpful to those of us who are more
interested in getting work done on the Web than in memorizing the
feature sets of various HTML releases.

Thanks for your help.

George Hayhoe (gfhayhoe -at- scescape -dot- net)
George Hayhoe Associates
http://www.scescape.net/~gfhayhoe/index.htm