Re: Reviewing and editing windows help files+finding a technical book publisher

Subject: Re: Reviewing and editing windows help files+finding a technical book publisher
From: Valerie Jachimowicz <VJACHIMO -at- OMICRON-USA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 09:00:05 -0400

We always prepare the hard copy docs first, and then create the help
after the client has accepted the docs. That way, all of our proofing
and copyediting is complete before we begin to create the help. Most of
our clients, and many of our internal people, will not use Word's
revision marks, so we must still pass the paper around. If all you are
creating is help, or you are going to base the hard copy on the help
text, I think it is still easiest to print the topics and pass the
paper around. Although you can use tools like More Mark Help to collect
comments as annotations, I think it would be more work for the reviewer
to do so. And I don't think you'd want to pass the files around--if
you're using a Word-based authoring tool, your reviewer will have to
deal with all kinds of error messages, and I have found that leaving
revisions in a document when creating a help system creates all kinds
of sneaky little problems.

Valerie
vjachimo -at- omicron-usa -dot- com