Yikes! Consulting Advice Please!

Subject: Yikes! Consulting Advice Please!
From: Natalie K Griffith <grif0028 -at- MAROON -dot- TC -dot- UMN -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 11:07:04 -0500

Hello Everyone:

I need your advice handling a contract bid. I'm brand new at independent
contract work.

I 've just been approached to convert a 350 page hardcopy manual to a
searchable HTML document. The plan is to serve it up over the world wid
web as an agricultural extension service. It has very few illustrations.

My questions are:

How do I handle the bid and billing? Is it customary to go on a per page
basis, or estimate the hourly requirement? Or something else?

What is the best way to index this HTML thing for searchability? I
currently use Apple.eg to index an entire server, it has to be installed
in the root directory and then I determine which directories and files
are to be indexed or not. I don't think this approach would work for
this job, because limiting the search to this directory with the CGI on
the root server would mean that that CGI could be used for this HTML
document only (or else search requests from within the doc would return
results from elsewhere on the server) .

Any and all clues appreciated - please reply directly to me at
grif0028 -at- maroon -dot- tc -dot- umn -dot- edu

Thank you!

Natalie Griffith
grif0028 -at- maroon -dot- tc -dot- umn -dot- edu