Online documentation instead of paper

Subject: Online documentation instead of paper
From: Gilda Spitz <Gilda_Spitz -at- SOFTARC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 13:11:06 -0400

I'm a technical writer for a company that currently produces user manuals both
in paper-based form, and in electronic form (using Adobe Acrobat). These
manuals describe a cross-platform e-mail and conferencing product used by
users that run the gamut of experience from raw rookies to experienced
techies.

The suggestion has been made to eliminate the paper documentation altogether,
and to provide electronic manuals on CD only. The hidden message to the user
is "If you want a paper copy, print it yourself."

I've been trying to find some information on how other companies do this, and
how their users feel about it. (We're planning to do some research with our
own users as well.) Other than the observation that not everyone has a
CD-ROM, does anyone out there have any comments or advice on this?

Thanks.

Gilda Spitz