Mac vs. PC survey

Subject: Mac vs. PC survey
From: Elna Tymes <Etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 10:41:35 -0700

Eric Haddock wrote:

> Actually, more of us prefer Macintoshes than other systems.

I'm absolutely appalled that someone would post to this international
list the results of a highly unscientific sampling, without saying so by
way of qualification. I'm also livid that you would imply "more of us"
prefer *anything* without making sure that your statistics and method are
objectively defensible.

Your out-of-the-mainstream personal web page is NOT the place to gather
statistically defensible data. The results from such a survey are NOT
representative of any group other than those who spend their time
perusing people's personal web pages. And you owe all of us an apology
for inferring that we all prefer *anything* based on your sampling.

There *are* some statistically defensible surveys on user preferences,
but they're done by people who know something about statistics.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems