Re: Portfolios

Subject: Re: Portfolios
From: Win Day <winday -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 10:29:02 -0400

A word of caution:

For all those who are busily gathering samples of work created for employers
or clients, please remember to get written permission to use this material
to market yourself.

Most of the material I create is proprietary. I can't just flash this stuff
around. I've signed secrecy agreements with several clients, and I honour
them. Some of my clients compete with each other for market share; I must
be very careful.

I don't use a portfolio for this very reason. I obtain most of my new work
from word-of-mouth recommendations. Just because these clients compete
doesn't mean they never talk to each other!

Even if the material you create isn't necessarily proprietary, please get
permission before using it to market youself.

Win