Results of "Help for a Newbie"

Subject: Results of "Help for a Newbie"
From: Kate Marventano <Kate_Marventano -at- ZD -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 15:42:47 -0400

Hi all-

I thought I would post the results of my question, regarding proofreading and
attention to detail improvements. The response was quite generous, and I
really appreciated all the ideas people gave me. The best part for me was
recognizing a common thread between so many of the suggestions. I guess great
minds do think alike!

1. Read backwards over the document, slowly.
2. Corner listeners, and read the document out loud.
3. *Create a checklist of things you commonly mess up on.* (This was a biggie!)
4. Use a rigid process to go over work, and develop a system.
5. *Put the document away for at least one day if possible.* (Yet another big
one...)
6. Use other writers as a reference - both for proofreading, and advice on
developing skills.
7. Refer to the Chicago Manual of Style
8. The Editorial Eye- neat Web site with the article "One Last Look:The Final
Quality Control Review"- @ http://www.eei-alex.com/eye/

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and encouraging words. I decided to
post the results because many of the suggestions were sent only to me. I hope
others may find them useful, too.

Kate