Re: Direct e-mail

Subject: Re: Direct e-mail
From: Jane Bergen <janeb -at- AIRMAIL -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 23:57:33 +600

On 27 Aug 96 at 8:30, Dennis V. Callaghan wrote:

> I seem to have been put on some kind of an investment tip
> e-mail list. Actually, they're more like advertisements

Hmmm. Now I know where they are coming from. I subscribe to several
mailing lists, so I wasn't sure where these came from. I believe
these messages are (or maybe WERE) echoed in a newsgroup,
bit.listserv.techwr or something like that. There are people paid to
do nothing but poke through the newsgroups for addresses to add to
mailing lists. The problem is getting worse though....not just the
investment thing. I'm getting mail now from an individual who has me
listed with about 30 other people in the header. He (or she...no
signature) can't spell and seems pretty generally illiterate. The
messages are not sexual, nor threatening in anyway, so far. Just
pesty.

Jane Bergen

janeb -at- airmail -dot- net
or