Re: Windows help compiler error message

Subject: Re: Windows help compiler error message
From: "Guy L. Pace" <pace -at- COOPEXT -dot- CAHE -dot- WSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 16:39:03 -0700

At 05:12 PM 9/3/96 -0400, you wrote:
>error 1079: out of file handles

>I've tried upping the files=# in my config.sys, to no avail. Please help
>as soon as possible!!!

That's one of the old DOS carryovers. If your files are set to 60 or more,
that should be plenty. However, sometimes you run into a problem of not
enough virtual memory break points. This is similar to file handles. In the
SYSTEM.INI file, make sure you have the following line:

MaxBPs=768

in the [386Enh] section. You can check if the line exists by opening the
file in Notepad or SYSEDIT, and using Find. If it isn't there, add it. This
will probably solve your problem.

Regards: Guy L. Pace (pace -at- wsu -dot- edu)
Computer Support Analyst II
Washington State University
AMA#606009 DoD#0974
http://coopext.cahe.wsu.edu/~pace/

"My mind is my own church." Thomas Paine