electronic file transfer

Subject: electronic file transfer
From: "Roberta J. Kirby-Werner" <rjkirby -at- MAILBOX -dot- SYR -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 10:45:39 -0400

Greetings, techwhirlers. I'm requesting information from members of the
list to help me with course plans here at Syracuse. First, some
background.

I'm kicking off a semester-long research/publication project in
my Professional and Technical Communication classes this week focused on
electronic file transfer. Throughout the term, students will share
work-in-progress on this writing assignment (as well as others) with a
core of "electronic mentors", and the mentors will provide feedback and
recommendations on the work they receive. As you can probably tell, the
project addresses a practical problems arising from this mentoring
arrangement and simultaneously enables students to be involved in the
creation of a manual from the problem analysis stage through production.

My question for you is this: What are our options for transmitting files
to one another, many of which will include graphics and will need to
preserve the design of the original?

I don't need a lot of description at this point since my students'
research will fill in the gaps (I hope!). But I'd appreciate any guidance
you can offer to help us know what options should be researched and
included in our manual.

Incidentally, the university doesn't support Acrobat.

Thanks for your input.

Bobbi

P.S. to Mentors: I suspect that you'll receive plenty of specific
questions on this subject as students move forward with the project, so
don't feel pressured to respond at this time. Of course, if you want to
toss some ideas my way, I'd certainly appreciate them. <g>

Roberta (Bobbi) J. Kirby-Werner
Senior Professional Writing Instructor
Syracuse University Writing Program
239 H.B. Crouse
Syracuse, NY 13244-1160

<Freelance Technical Writer/Editor & Corporate Trainer>