electronic file transfer

Subject: electronic file transfer
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 21:51:00 +0100

Hello Roberta,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von "Roberta J. Kirby-Werner" an All am 04.09.96

"J> My question for you is this: What are our options for
"J> transmitting files
"J> to one another, many of which will include graphics and will
"J> need to
"J> preserve the design of the original?

[I answer the question here because I feel the problem is quite common here.]

those files tend to be quite large. So you should do research in two
directions:

- How can I reduce the data volume? Do not even dream about Winword or
BMP files. If you really must distribute source code, compress it
with some archive program like PKZIP, ARJ, Stuffit or what all of
you can use. If the mentors are to comment only, look at Adobe
Acrobat. Your students can "print" to PDF format and the mentors
can add comments using Adobe Exchange as a viewer. PDF files are
quite compact, but my experience is that PKZIP or so can reduce
file sizes by another 20 to 40%.

- How can you distribute those large files? Email is not too efficient
for that. If you must use Internet technology try to find a FTP server.
If all participants are in your area think about some kind of BBS
or direct access to your FTP server.

You might have read here that I operate a BBS. One of its more important tasks
is to exchange files with my customers. I have finished successfully numerous
jobs this way.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander

--
Alexander von Obert, Urbanstr. 2, 90480 Nuernberg, Germany
Free-lance Technical Writer (electronics, software)