Re: Reorganization

Subject: Re: Reorganization
From: Matthew Danda <dandam -at- 1STNET -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 13:49:34 -0500

Rick:
I work in the conditions you are about to face. I enjoy the environment,
however, I have shifted my job definition a bit. I approach the work first
as a software developer, second as a writer. This perspective is important,
since you will be now associating with developers on the team more than with
the fellow writers. You will identify yourself more with the software team
rather than with the writing team.
Working on a development team can be hard, because the tech writer is
generally considered the least technically proficient member of the team,
and programmers generally judge all people by their technical abilities. I
would recommend brushing up on your computer skills far beyond that demanded
by your job. This will facilitate communications and good professional
relationships with the programmers, which is vital for successful
documentation (also dramatically boosts the resume).
And remember, programmer HATE to do documentation, and they should be
extremely grateful that you are a part of their team. If not, then remind them.
Gotta run, good luck,
Matt

Matthew Danda
Technical Writer