Re: Interesting thing from WORD-PC list re MS copyright of screen captures

Subject: Re: Interesting thing from WORD-PC list re MS copyright of screen captures
From: "Colleen Dancer (02) 333-1862" <DANCER -dot- COLLEEN -at- A2 -dot- ABC -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 14:56:53 +1000

We ask permission but the vendor wouldn't dare complain.

When we put software to tender we specify that the manuals must be task
specific to our company. If they can't fulfill that they must let us
screen grab their system and redocument it. (So far most of the manuals
have been shocking and there is no way we could have let them near our
users) Our biggest problem is usually making sure that they understand we
have copyright on the manuals and they can't copy them for their other
clients. Note: if we use an instruction card from a printer or graphics
from a shop scanner page we ask permission. We have never had it refused,
but we are a government organisation. We do this because single pieces of
paper such as putting a new paper roll in the till would get lost. Our
department usually doesn't document software or teach MS Word or anything
so we don't have the problem with "normal" commercial software.

Colleen Dancer

dancer -dot- colleen -at- a2 -dot- abc -dot- net -dot- au