Re: Respect or no/Manuals by the inch

Subject: Re: Respect or no/Manuals by the inch
From: David Somers <David -dot- SOMERS -at- ST -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 09:44:10 +0200

Just to add my 2 centimes worth (sine I'm current sitting in
France)...

re: manuals by the inch:
I had a meeting yesterday with my project leader to got through some
documentation that I'd put together. His main comment 'Its too big;
reduce the page count in half.'

re: respect:
See above.

David Somers
(Usual disclaimer - speaking for myself, not for ST)

Subject: Re: Respect or no
Author: TECHWR-L (TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU) at internet
Date: 9/9/96 20:13

This discussion about whether manuals/documentation adds value to
software reminds me of the manual I wrote which was ordered literally by
the inch. I want a nice thick manual, said the MD, to prove it's a worthy
piece of software. About three inches thick is fine.

Is this common? I used big print and a small binder and made it
user-friendly as well (I hope!), though strangely enough he wasn't
bothered about that! He went bust owing me money -- a good point in
favour of staged payments!

Helen
--
Helen Whitehead Final Draft Editorial and Writing Services
h -dot- whitehead -at- dial -dot- pipex -dot- com