One (1) question about odd number notation

Subject: One (1) question about odd number notation
From: Frederic Wronecki <frederic -dot- wronecki -at- WANADOO -dot- FR>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 10:35:25 -0700

James M. Lockard wrote :

>> One of the issues I'm dealing with is this
>> odd sort of number notation I've seen in legal documents where, after each
>> number is written out, the numeral appears in parentheses.

>> For example, the handbook reads something like, "Full-time, regular
>> employees are granted three (3) personal days each year."

>> What's up with that? I cannot think of any solid reason for that technique.
>> Is there any reason I _should_ keep that system?

This practice dates back to the times when legal documents were handwritten, with a high
risk of misreading badly formed letters or digits : writing both gave redundancy.
We still practice this way when signing checks (we must mention the amount both in
digits and in letters).
There is no valid reason to keep this rule with printed documents.
Anyway, if you're compelled to, you can easily write a WinWord macro that writes out
each number.

--
Frederic Wronecki
France Telecom, Paris, France