Re: Grammar Checkers?

Subject: Re: Grammar Checkers?
From: David Somers <David -dot- SOMERS -at- ST -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 09:37:51 +0200

A:
> Dare I suggest hire a human editor... IME software grammer checkers
> aren't worth the (usually large) disk space they occupy.

My response:

1. There is a built-in grammar checker in MS Word for many (but not
all) languages, incl. English. More languages are available.

Not everybody uses MS Word... I'm currently using FrameMaker and the rest of
the people around me are using AmiPro.

2. The spell checker Grammatik, which comes with WordPerfect, is
available as a stand-alone grammar checker, too.

Does it work with FrameMaker files too?

3. To my experience - and I use grammar checkers for Danish (my
mothers tongue) and English - it is NOT a question of either .. or.
Like spell checkers, they raise questions on potential problems
and errors, which a proofreader often overlooks, but on the other
hand, a good proofreader will certainly find errors, which the
grammar checker never finds. At least (~80+%) of a grammar
checkers alarms are false alarms, but I love it for the errors it
finds.

But constant clicking of 'Ignore' to get through those 80% false
alarms is darn annoying (and time consuming), and sometimes you
can hit 'ignore' by mistake and avoid a genuine mistake.

Greetings from France,

David Somers
david -dot- somers -at- st -dot- com
(Usual disclaimer - speaking for myself and not ST)

Searchable archives located at http://www.documentation.com/
ALL questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-