Re: Writing & music (long)

Subject: Re: Writing & music (long)
From: rpachol9 <rpachol9 -at- SKYPOINT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 23:44:36 -0600

I feel like the person writing to Dear Abby/Ann Landers who says "I have
never written before but I feel I just had to respond."

Mark L. Levinson wrote <When I see music listed on a writer's cv, I add a
Positive
Personal Prejudice Point.>

I agree. I quit Control Data Corporation after eight years as a technical
writer (many years ago) to play lead guitar for "Butch Greaser and the
Hoods". Now (20+ years later) I'm a Technical Communications Manager,
responsible for the software and hardware documentation of my company's
control platforms, standard products, marketing support, and training
support materials. I like my work and I enjoy my music. My experience
with/in music has been a integral part of my development.

A recent thing communication developers can benefit from in the music
world is the "Enhanced CDs". The Enhanced CDs provide a lot of ideas for
the presentation of interactive, on-line information. An excellent
example is "tales from beyond the punchbowl" by PRIMUS. You probably will
not like the music (it's relatively modern), but the visual presentation
of the music (i.e., message/information from the band) and the method of
navigation is innovative.

Technical Communications is a rapidly evolving profession with a myriad
of tools and communication methods available for a plethora of ways to
disseminate information. We, as technical communicators, need to take
advantage of any means available to expand our thinking and pursue the
best available means of communicating technical information.

If you want to respond this, please do so directly to me; don't bore the
list by continuing this thread with a post from me to an already much
discussed topic.

IMHO; you can tell a lot about people by what their favorite song is;
i.e., compare one who says "Pennies from Heaven" by the Mills Brothers
with one who says "The Pusher" by Steppenwolf.

Disclaimer: this is my opinion only; who else would want it?

r pacholke
<rpachol9 -at- skypoint -dot- com>

Searchable archives located at http://www.documentation.com/
ALL questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-