What's a widow?

Subject: What's a widow?
From: "Wiley, Karen P." <WileyKP1 -at- SUBTECH1 -dot- SPACENET -dot- JHUAPL -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 15:17:00 EDT

Eileen asks about widows:

The 14th edition of Chicago Manual of Style says in section 19.40:

" A widow, that is, a short line--one word or two or three little ones
(some say anything less than a full line)--at the top of the page." This is
in a section called Bad Breaks.

What you speak of at the end of the paragraph I have heard referred to as an
orphan. However, there is no mention even of that word in the 14th edition.
I have never heard the rule about the number of syllables in the word; since
they say two or three little ones, perhaps that's where the idea came from.

As for the "associated to issue," I would say that seems wrong to me.
Associated with seems the only way to go with that. 'Course, that's just
MHO.

Karen Wiley
JHU/APL

Searchable archives located at http://www.documentation.com/
ALL questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-