Re: Document Control Software

Subject: Re: Document Control Software
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 12:30:40 -0700

At 12:02 PM 9/22/96 +0200, you wrote:
>Do any of you good folks out there have any suggestions, general or
>about specific document control software? Thanks in advance for your
>help.

I have worked with companies in which we (or I) maintained literally
thousands of documents. I've never used any document control software
because I don't like losing control. Here's my suggestion: Create a solid
document hierarchy on paper and then duplicate the structure in your file
management system, whether it be File Manager, Windows Explorer, DOS, UNIX,
etc. Place all files related to a single document in the same subdirectory.
If you have any files common to more than one document, place them in a
separate directory called "common."

I've found this to be an effective way to control documents/files without
spending $$$ on extra software (which also adds overhead to your
system--something I definitely don't want) and losing control of the files.

Regards...Kris
kjolberg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com (preferred)
kjolberg -at- aol -dot- com
kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com
102031 -dot- 3556 -at- compuserve -dot- com
s -dot- othoudt -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net