Re: Obsession with University Degrees?

Subject: Re: Obsession with University Degrees?
From: Laura J Valentine <fiend+ -at- CMU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 09:48:11 -0400

Excerpts from tech: 23-Sep-96 Re: Obsession with Universi.. by Eric
Haddock -at- ENGAGENET -dot- C
> Just having an MA doesn't mean you're any smarter than someone with a BA
> or even an AD. An MA might only equate to a tolerance for academics,
> availability of funds or dedication to a field--it could mean any number of
> things which is why I don't judge _people_ based on, of all things, their
> degrees.

(Caveat: I'm currently earning a B.S. in Tech Writing.) There is a
woman here who is a Ph.D. student in English. Now, a Macintosh is a
ridiculously easy computer to use (harder to use *well* than a lot of
people think, but still--), and word processors just aren't that
difficult. I realized over the summer *why* she's been a Ph.D. student
for 7 years...she can't figure out how to type up her thesis.

Based on this information, Degrees Mean Nothing.

On the other hand, I certainly hope a B.S. in T.W. will help me get a job...

--laura

fiend+ -at- cmu -dot- edu -=-=- http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/jacquez/
-=--=- Cthulhu is the Patron Saint of Pittsburgh... -=--=-
Alpha Phi Omega, Kappa Chapter, Carnegie Mellon University