Re: HTML Books: Why bother?

Subject: Re: HTML Books: Why bother?
From: John Russell <JRussell -at- DATAWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 12:25:00 -0400

>. From: Nancy Hoft
>.
>. Forget about the books! ... [use] The official HTML Document Type
>. Definition (DTD) at w3c.org.
>.
>. [For] the Netscapisms and Microsoftisms ... Everything
>. you could possibly want to know has been carefully documented at Netscape
>. and Microsoft's respective sites.
>.
>. [Also] ... find a collection of pages whose design you like and are
curious about
>. and just View Source. Study the syntax and learn how they author created
>. the page.
>.
>. There's a fabulous WinHelp-based presentation on HTML syntax by
>. Stephen Le Hunte. ... You can download it at:
>. http://subnet.virtual-pc.com/~le387818/

Wow!

Thanks Nancy.

(I guess I was too quick at posting my follow-up to the reponses I
received.)

I have looked at a lot of source and learned a good bit of HTML by doing
so. HotDog Pro was a help, too. But I feel like I've exhausted the
surface of HTML and am now looking for the "guts." I'll probably delve
into CGI and Java scripting soon.

Your suggestion on getting the DTD from http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/ is
very useful! You've convinced me not to buy a book, but to keep up on
this stuff on the Web instead. I've bookmarked your pages, thank you
once more.

Congratulations on the Cookbook. I did look through it closely and it
was very helpful, perticularly the section on International Cuisine.

Thanks again!

--

kjr
jrussell -at- dataware -dot- com

K. John Russell Anagram of the year:
Dataware Technologies, Inc
5 Computer Drive South Information Superhighway
Albany, New York 12205 New utopia? Horrifying Sham!