hyphens in multiple-word mo

Subject: hyphens in multiple-word mo
From: Karen Lew <Karen -dot- Lew -at- QUICKMAIL -dot- LLNL -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 10:48:29 -0800

The sentence in question read something like this: " . . .[whatever] is
department owned and operated . . ."

As the technical editor, I inserted hyphens as follows: " . . .[whatever] is
department-owned and -operated . . . " using the grammatical logic of a
temporary compound used as an adjective.

The author (and our mutual boss) kept removing the hyphen before *operated*. I
finally just gave up.

Yes, I realize it would have been much better to merely rewrite the sentence:
" . . . [whatever], owned and operated by the department, . . ." but that was
not an option at the time.

I can't find this *specific situation* in Chicago Manual of Style, beyond
what's said in 6.31 (and don't have Bernstein of anyone else at hand at the
moment). Anyone have any thoughts on this? (silly question, of course).

Thanks,

Karen L. Lew
Sr. Technical Writer/Editor
Environmental Protection Department