Re: hyphens in multiple-word mo

Subject: Re: hyphens in multiple-word mo
From: Elsa Kapitan-White <kapitan-white -at- SUGAR-LAND -dot- OILFIELD -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 13:05:58 -0500

Karen wrote:
>As the technical editor, I inserted hyphens as follows: " . . .[whatever] is
>department-owned and -operated . . . " but she couldn't
> find this *specific situation* in Chicago Manual of Style, beyond
>what's said in 6.31 . . .

Which edition of Chicago are you using? (Item 6.31 in the 14th edition is
about contractions.) Check Table 6.1 under "adjective forms" for the type
"adjective plus a noun bearing the suffix ed" (page 221, 14th ed.) As
described in the remarks, "Adjectival compunds comprising an adjective
followed by a noun bearing the suffix ed are ordinarily hyphenated when
they precede the noun they modify. Following the noun, they may generally
be left open." The examples of the latter are "The wood was coarsed
grained" and "He was able bodied."

Elsa Kapitan-White <kapitan-white -at- SUGAR-LAND -dot- OILFIELD -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Schlumberger Oilfield Marketing Services
225 Schlumberger Drive, Sugar Land, TX 77478
(713)275-7563, fax -8545