THANKS: Re: HELP!!! Initialism advise needed pronto!

Subject: THANKS: Re: HELP!!! Initialism advise needed pronto!
From: "Elaine R. Firestone" <elaine -at- CALVAL -dot- GSFC -dot- NASA -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 16:40:57 -0500

A great big THANK YOU to everyone who replied to my "weighty" problem.
(Sorry all, the ms is destroying my sense of humor.)

> band-weighted center wavelengths

> band-weighted spectral radiances

> effective center wavelengths

I've decided to use the 3-letter initialisms BCW, BSR, and ECW,
respectively for the phrases above. I've replaced the phrases with the
initialisms and it only looks kind of dicey in a couple of paragraphs,
which isn't bad when you consider that it's a 65 page report. As a few of
you pointed out, the audience who reads these things are used to being
acronymed to death, so one or two more made up ones aren't going to hurt.
My pet peeve (well, one of them anyway) is when someone makes up an acronym
and then doesn't use it or only uses it once after it's defined. Ouch!
("Quick! get the red pen!")

Anyway, thanks a whole lot again everyone. What a great bunch of folks on
these two lists!

Elaine

Elaine R. Firestone
elaine -at- calval -dot- gsfc -dot- nasa -dot- gov
elaine -at- seawifs -dot- gsfc -dot- nasa -dot- gov