Book types most favored

Subject: Book types most favored
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 08:56:00 EST

I'm curious about something and I wanted to query the list.

There has developed a split in the field of computer books between the
"get-started" easy books, like the "Dummies" series, and the full-scale
"kitchen-sink" books like the "Unleashed" series. I think I know why people
would buy each type, and under what conditions, but I wanted to ask the list
for input.

In my case, I usually try to buy a simplified book first, one that's written
friendly and folksy. That gets me off the ground, after which I usually feel
the need for a book that has everything in it, just for reference.

Are others of the same mind, or do you buy one or the other?

Tim Altom
Vice President, Simply Written, Inc.
317.899.5882 (voice) 317.899.5987 (fax)
FrameMaker support ForeHelp support