Re: Book types most favored

Subject: Re: Book types most favored
From: Rebecca Phillips <rebecca -at- QRONUS -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 16:24:18 +-200

There has developed a split in the field of computer books between the
"get-started" easy books, like the "Dummies" series, and the full-scale
"kitchen-sink" books like the "Unleashed" series. I think I know why people
would buy each type, and under what conditions, but I wanted to ask the list
for input.

Are others of the same mind, or do you buy one or the other?

Usually, I expect to get most of my "get-started" information from the documentation that comes with the software. Since my job is to learn how to use software, even skimpy or poor documentation is almost always enough to get me started. So I usually find myself looking for kitchen-sink or advanced books for the tools I use most.

When I want to learn a totally new area, say, how to write marketing documentation or build a Website, I look for a "getting started" book. I also look for general books on writing and time and personnel management. I find it a turn-off when the word "dummies" is in the title, though.

Rebecca M. Phillips
Documentation Manager
Qronus Interactive Ltd.
Automated System Testing