Re: Book types most favored

Subject: Re: Book types most favored
From: Eric Haddock <eric -at- ENGAGENET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 08:24:27 -0500

>I find it a turn-off when the word "dummies" is in the =
>title, though.

I don't mind that as much as the horrid design of the books. Black and
yellow is bad enough but the font choice for the headings and the layout is
criminal. :/

I've also found that the "Dummies" series seem to be for the _total_
novice, for someone who can't even spell the topic let alone know what it
is. By the time I'm ready to buy a book on a subject, I've already somehow
found out about it through a web page or friends or something along that nature.

I made the mistake of buying _Java for Dummies_ and found it to be a
near-total waste--the amount of new information I got from it certainly
wasn't worth what I paid for it.

I bought another "Dummies" book a couple years ago but I can't remember
what the topic was. It wasn't useful either. Never gonna buy one again. :P

/`-_ Eric Haddock ------ http://www2.corenet.net/moonlion
{ }/ Technical writer
\ | Engage Networks, Inc. ----- http://www.engagenet.com
\__*| located in the Historic Third Ward of Milwaukee, WI