Re: Since

Subject: Re: Since
From: "Wollt, Richard C RV" <rcw1 -at- PO9 -dot- RV -dot- UNISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 15:01:00 CDT

While most native English speakers would not be confused by the use of since
for a causual relationship, what about translators, or even more so, what
about ESL readers. My documents get used worldwide, and many of the users
are not fluent in English, or at least not in vernacular. As much as I can
I try to use word that do not have such diverse meanings.

As for the which/that question, the sources I have seen on writing for
translation all say the word "which" implies a choice and can confuse, while
"that" is specific and easily translated.

Dick Wollt
rcw1 -at- rsvl -dot- unisys -dot- com