Re: Information on creating PDF files

Subject: Re: Information on creating PDF files
From: "Wollt, Richard C RV" <rcw1 -at- PO9 -dot- RV -dot- UNISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 13:04:00 CDT

This is exactly what we are doing with our manuals. We wanted an online
capability that ensured the users couldn't modify the content. We have a
network, and have one PC set up with Acrobat Distiller configured to monitor
a directory. The writer uses a postscript driver to produce a PS file, then
copies his .ps file to the watched network directory. Distiller reads the
file, produces the .pdf file, a .log file, and moves the input file to an
output file. Graphics are handled very well. In fact, we now produce our
final postscript output from the .pdf files rather than use the original .PS
to clean up problems we had with line drop out on Docutech printers.
Since Distiller is running independently, it takes very little of the
writer's time. Distilling seems to take a little more time than producing
the postscript from the Word files.
Richard Wollt
rcw1 -at- rsvl -dot- unisys -dot- com

----