Re: hot tech writing mkt -- salaries skyrocketing?

Subject: Re: hot tech writing mkt -- salaries skyrocketing?
From: Mary Anthony <mary -at- PERSISTENCE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 08:31:00 -0700

At 08:12 AM 10/2/96 EST, Jim Grey wrote:
>Susan Gallagher <susan -at- LIVINGSTON -dot- COM> said:
>>We're trying to recruit tech writers right now. Not only are we having a
>>hard time getting people in the door (we're in CA -- East Bay), but those
>>coming in with 3+ experience are demanding at least 70K. Many want at least
>>75K. Perhaps it's networking writers in particular -- not sure.

>Holy freakin' cow! The same is *NOT* happening in Indiana.

>The STC Salary Survey lists Region 9 median salaries as being in the
>$40-$50K range. So $70-$75K seems a little high.

Yeah, well, consider also the cost of living. A decent two bedroom
apartment in Silicon Valley will run you about $1300 a month. If you can
find one or are lucky enough to beat out the other 300 applicants. If you
have some kind of pet, well, I know of one person who had to drop a $1000
bribe to get a dog into a condo.

Then, we can always talk about the state taxes...

Mary

--------
"What I read, I forget; what I see, I remember; what I do, I learn."
- Unknown Dressage Master
---------
Mary Anthony mary -at- persistence -dot- com