Re: GB initialism

Subject: Re: GB initialism
From: WRONECKI Frederic DG <frederic -dot- wronecki -at- FRANCETELECOM -dot- FR>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 15:13:51 +0200

Karla McMaster wrote :
> When you abbreviate megabytes or Gigabytes, do you use MB/GB, or Mb/Gb?
> Could you provide me with a reference?

The official rule (there's an ISO standard) for measurement units is that
only those abbreviated from a proper noun should be capitalized.
Thus :
Hertz = Hz, Kilohertz = kHz, Megahertz = MHz
Watt = W, Kilowatt = kW, Megawatt = MW
Kilogram = kg
Kilometer = km
I would then abbreviate megabyte as Mb and gigabyte as Gb. But... when
looking at French literature, I seem to read MO and GO (byte is "octet" in
French) most of the time...
Frederic Wronecki
France Telecom, Paris, France
mailto : frederic -dot- wronecki -at- francetelecom -dot- fr