Re: Job Hopping to Increase Pay -Reply

Subject: Re: Job Hopping to Increase Pay -Reply
From: David Hailey <FAHAILEY -at- WPO -dot- HASS -dot- USU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 11:31:49 -0600

Many professions have a "pipeline" to the top. MBA's can
become vice-presidents or even CEO's. Technical
Communicators cannot do this. In fact, as a rule, senior
writer, or editor is about as high as we can go in a
company. With that in mind, it seems to me that the only
real way to promotion is from smaller, lower paying jobs to
bigger highly paid jobs or to our own companies. Job
hopping, as near as I can tell, is the name of the beast.

I have a very successful friend who works on the five year
plan. If he has not been promoted in five years or if he
sees that promotion is impossible in five years, he moves
on. He is now president of a university. I follow the same
rule. It seems a good one for the technical communication
profession.

Dave Hailey
fahailey -at- wpo -dot- usu -dot- edu