Need advice on potential freelance assignment

Subject: Need advice on potential freelance assignment
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 09:48:59 EST

Gang,

I work as a full-time captive at a lovely company (one that can read my
mail). A friend of mine who knows my work knows some folks who also know my
work. They like what they've seen and they have offered me a chance to bid
on the job of writing their training and reference doc for an app they've
developed. It would be done on my own time and my own equipment at home.

Please, friends, e-mail me privately with suggestions as to how to approach
this. I figure there are things I need to know before I quote my rates. I
figure there are also different ways to ask for payment. I would love any
and all advice on this subject. Lots of stuff has appeared on the list about
contracting and I have read much of it with interest, but it never struck so
close to home before, so I didn't save it in one file and can't find it all
now. (Isn't that always the way?)

I appreciate your help. If there's sufficient interest, I will post a digest
of responses to the list. If you write to me, please let me know if I may
quote you by name.

Thanks!!!!

Hastily,

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer