Re: Techie First or Writer?

Subject: Re: Techie First or Writer?
From: Lisa <lisa -at- ENVISION -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 10:05:50 -0500

I would like to add to this discussion by sharing my angst. I have just recently come on board with a company whose technical expertise astounds me. I feel challenged every day to expand my horizons technically by learning about the "under the hood" part of programming and communications software/hardware generally.

It makes me uncomfortable because just about the time I got my arms around the development and implementation of on-line documentation --- here comes (to me) the complexities of HTML development and Web technology. I have to tell you that I am off the porch and running, but I'm not sure where I am in the pack. It's a little intimidating.

After five years of writing I have come to believe that being technically proficient is necessary. Even more so now that the lines between hard technical (i.e. programming) and communication are becoming blurred (read HTML linked with Java). I feel I can no longer focus my energies only on becoming a better communicator; I must also become a better "techie." This means expanding my skill set to include a working knowledge of programming, hardware, LAN/WAN administration, and communication technology. This is a big order. But, I remind myself, haven't we always been jacks-of-all-trades? The best of us will use what we know to at least master the communication requirement.

Lisa Miller
Advanced Technologies Group